Tuesday 16 November 2010

Warm but wintry on Ben Cruachan today.







I had a ramble up onto Ben Cruachan today to see what snow is left lying after the weekend. Monday was cold and crisp, today was completely the opposite, but that's the west coast for you!
I met a couple of guys heading off up Beinn a' Bhuiridh and lots of discussion was had about carrying ice axes, I didn't have mine with me as I had decided not to carry it! At this time of the year each day is so different on the hill. In fact, as is so often the way crampons, might have been more useful, the paths were still chocked with ice or hard slush above 500m. The weather closed in as forecast at 750m and the 'soup cloud' wrapped into Corrie Dearg.
I know I go up Cruachan allot but I think it is such a wonderful and majestic range of hills and of course it is never the same each time.
I am pleased to announce Hebridean Pursuits Ltd is now running Courses for Footpints Glasgow www.footprintsglasgow.co.uk an independent and very successful outdoor gear shop and travel consultancy on Woodlands Road. The first of these courses will Winter Skills Courses staring in January. All courses are open the public, head into the shop and ask for details!
Check out their comprehensive range of gear and they sell Patagonia clothing too!