Sunday 2 March 2014

Solitude is best and Scotland offers it by the bucket load.

It was probably the best day of the winter on the west coast on Saturday. It was dry, relatively cold and very beautiful in the mountains. Finding quiet places is the key I feel to enhancing the experience of winter mountaineering. As I write this blog I am conscious of the many blogs offering easy and quick solutions to the dylema of where to go the next day. I am as guilty as charged but looking back before all the instant information, we had to decide and plan based on experience and local knowledge. This is the essence of the quest of the unique experience, I adore searching out esoteric places, historic routes and the quieter corners. There is of course the flip side that meeting up with others confirms your route choice was perhaps sensible?